After some time and quite some expectation, a new version has been released that includes the single most awaited feature in the history of the game: Multiplayer!
At this point the multiplayer feature is reduced to the bare bones, but it works. We are hoping on the community to help us test it 🙂
In case you haven’t read my previous articles on it, Glest is a Free, open-source 3d Real Time Strategy Game, designed in a way so that it is easy to customize and expand. Glest has been in continuous development for several years, and has received awards in the Art Futura and Mundos Digitales spanish international festivals. Finally we have released the official 2.0 version, which includes many add-ons that we hope will enhance gameplay. Continue reading Glest 2.0 released
Since rc3 and rc4 were released very close to each other, I’ll include here both versions’ features:
– Final icons for the new units (you will not be able to see that until the data rc3 is uploaded, which should be soon).
– Shared vision for allies: This has a very nice side effect, CPU controlled factions will support each other, this will not always happen though, only when they have enough soldiers on their bases.
– Now you can play in every start location even with 2 or 3 factions in 4 player maps.
– Improved results screen, now it has a score and the team of each faction.
This version includes increased projectile accuracy, ranged units now hit moving slow or close enemy units.
Don´t forget to share your thoughts on Glest in the Forum 🙂
This version improves particle blending. You can see what the improved particle effects look like here.
At last, Glest 2.0-rc1 has been released. The version is not the complete 2.0 though, some icons are missing and some animations will be improved; However it includes most of the features that will be present in the final version.
– New Magic units:
– Tower of Souls: Air defense building, attacks air only
– Golem: Defensive unit, needs EP to walk, can’t attack air
– Daemon giant: Heavy melee unit
– Drake rider: Light ranged unit
– New Tech units:
– Aerodrome: Building for producing air units
– Air ballista: Air defense building, attacks air only
– Horseman: Fast medium unit
– Ornithopter: Light air unit
– Airship: Heavy air unit, can’t attack air
– New Magic upgrades
– New Tech upgrades
– New animations for existing units
– Loads of balance changes
New units really change the way factions are played. The Magic faction now has a new defensive unit, the Golem, that makes them stronger at the early stages of the game. The Tech faction now has air units, but should be less powerful because both factions have new anti air defenses too, which make towns very difficult to attack with air units only.
To play this version, download the data and win32 binary packages from sourceforge. Linux users can still use 1.2.1 source code with 2.0-rc1 data.
New features in this version are:
– New tileset objects
– AI now expands its base
– 2 new maps: “in the forest” and “island siege”
– Improved existing maps
– Pathfinding optimizations
– Fixed issues in windowed mode
– Balance changes
– Enemy projectiles are visible when being attacked outside the sight range
– Fixed crash when trying to build a unit without be_built skill
This version merges the previously available data (rc7) and binaries (rc5) in a single installation package, which replaces the former version in the downloads section; it also features maps adapted to the new tilesets. Moreover, Zanni made a big effort to update the whole web site so that it could benefit of the CSS technology, and we made a presentation of Glest at the Mundos Digitales festival, as we were finalists of the videogames workshop.
This includes G3Dv4 with packed structures, so it has broken previous G3Dv4 models. Affects Glest, G3D viewer and G3D exporter.
It seems that things are moving really fast these last days; there’s now serious work being done regarding the Blender plugin.
This version fixes minor issues as well as restoring the old arrow particle systems.
We are quickly approaching version 1.1.0.